Duration: 6 days
Suggested age: from 12 – 18
Suggested period: from May to September
Route: Međimurje – Zalakaros
Day 1 11:00 – 13:00 DONJI KRALJEVEC
- Check-in for accommodation in Prelog.
- A visit to the Visitor Center and the birthplace of the famous writer and philosopher Dr. Rudolf Steiner, who is known as the founder of anthrophilosophy, Waldorf pedagogy and biodynamic agriculture.
- Lunch and a short drive to Sveta Marija.
14:00 – 19:00 SVETA MARIJA
- Rafting from the estuary of the river Drava in Sveta Marija to Donja Dubrava.
- Paintball in the recreation center Pozoj.
- Return to Prelog, dinner.
Day 2 11:00 – 13:00 KRIŽOVEC
- Visit to the Center for Visitors of the MURA-DRAVA Regional Park – participation in an educational workshop and a tour of the permanent exhibition of the Center. The Regional Park is part of the international heritage of UNESCO, the European ecological network NATURA 2000 and the biosphere reserve Mura-Drava-Danube.
- More information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ydUnpF53Tw
- A short drive to Štrigova.
13:00- 18:00 ŠTRIGOVA
- Tour of the Church of Saint Jerome, which is recognizable by its two bell towers and frescoes by the Baroque painter Ivan Ranger. Visit to the Pušipel world center in the House of Culture Štrigova. Picking up e-bicycles in Štrigova, riding uphill to Mađerka Hill. Visit to the Bike info ceter with lookout tower.
- Traditional Međimurje lunch in one of the restaurants in Gornje Međimurje and wine tasting in one of the beautifully decorated wine tastings houses on the Međimurje Wine Road.
- Return to Prelog, free time, dinner.
Day 3 FRKANOVEC/ ČAKOVEC 10:00 – 11:00
- Visit to Matul’s land, Educational and Research Center dedicated to butterflies in Frkanovec. It is located in the area of the Natura 2000 ecological network, not far from the Bedekovićeva graba fields, which is a protected natural monument due to the presence of critically endangered species of meadow blue butterflies.
- Short drive to Čakovec
11:30 – 15:00
- Sightseeing of the permanent exhibition of the Museum of Međimurje: Archaeological Department, Ethnographic Department, History Department, Art Gallery and Treasury of Međimurje.
- Short walk from the old town to the city center. Sightseeing – the Art Nouveau Palace, the parish church and the Franciscan monastery; lunch and free time.
15:00 – 16:00
- Visit to the watchtower, which is located in the area of the Knowledge Center (former barracks) near the center of Čakovec and belongs to the third protected zone of the cultural-historical urban complex of the city of Čakovec. The watchtower has been renovated and houses the main info point for visitors in Međimurje as well as a memorial room in the barracks. Today, the old watchtower is called the Međimurje Palace of Tourism, it also houses the Eko museum Međimurje Malo, where with the help of the latest technology through virtual expansion, you can see and experience the best that Međimurje has to offer all in one place.
16:.00 – 19:00
- Swimming and relaxation at the Čakovec city pools.
- Return to Prelog, dinner. Departure to Hungary in the morning.
- Arrival to Hungary
10:00 – 14:00 ZALA
- Water tour on the river Zala. It starts from Zalaapáti where the program commences with kayaking and canoeing skill games/training. The tour is 7 km long. At the end of the tour you can visit the Kis-Balaton demonstration house, where you get to know the natural wildlife of Kis-Balaton, the historical and ethnographic peculiarities of the region, the wildlife of the swamps and the life of the reeds in an interactive way. (www.fodrosvizitura.hu)
- Lunch in Nagykanizsa in the Medgyaszay restaurant.
- Accommodation in one of the hotels and pensions of Nagykanizsa.
15:00 – 19:00 NAGYKANIZSA
- Cycling route: Nagykanizsa (Boating Lake) -Nagybakónak-Nagykanizsa.
- Length of the route: 34 km, recommended for all ages.
- Hiking and cycling in one package: Nagybakónak and its surroundings have many natural values and the hilly terrain offers excellent hiking opportunities. There are several hiking trails in the settlement, the most significant of which is the Green Tour route or the Pál Rockenbauer South Transdanubia Blue Tour. The Kőszikla gorge, the Árpád spring and the Csibiti Valley can be reached on easy walking path.
- Dinner in Nagykanizsa in the Bankpalota restaurant, then free time.
Day 5 NAGYKANIZSA 10:00 – 13:00/18:00
- Cycling route: Nagykanizsa (Csónakázó-tó) -Zákányfalu-Zákány-Gyékényes-Porrogszentkirály-Porrog-Somogybükkösd-Nagykanizsa.
- Length of the route: 70 km.
- Estimated duration of the tour: 3 hours for athletes, 3 hours for families to Gyékényes + swimming
- Starting from Nagykanizsa, the station Zákányfalu, which is the youngest settlement in Somogy county, was officially declared an independent village in 2002. It is located on the banks of the Drava, its best known local value is the Zichy Castle. This eclectic mansion also served as a school, and visitors to the park can learn about several plant rarities and rows of linden trees.
- In Zákány, on the banks of the Drava River, a beautiful panorama unfolds before us among other things, the untouched beauty of the landscape and the view of the Croatian towns on the other side.
- The central element of the tour is the gravel pit of “Gyékényesi-tó“, which is located along the Croatian-Hungarian border and which in 2011 received the title of Our Heritage – The Treasure of Somogy. The water in the gravel mine is so clear that you can see up to 8 meters deep.
- For families, we recommend lunch at the Zöldsas restaurant by the lake, swimming in the afternoon, and then taking the return trip by train.
- For athletes, the next destination is Porrogszentkirály and Porrog, where, thanks to the Lutheran population, they attract travelers with their beautiful Lutheran churches.
- For athletes, the afternoon program from 13:00 to 18:00.
- Sightseeing of the Nagykanizsa town: in the main town square, on the western side of Erzsébet tér, is the Town Hall, the baroque-style statue of the Holy Trinity, carved by Inkey Boldizsár, landlord of Kanizsa, with masters from Graz in 1758. On the south side of the square is the Iron House, in the courtyard of which, a memorial to the martyrs is erected for the 150th anniversary of the Arad tragedy, together with the bust of the first Hungarian Prime Minister Lajos Batthyány.
- Then an easy swim and sauna in the Kanizsa Swimming Pool and Bath.
- Dinner in Nagykanizsa, free time.
Day 6 NAGYKANIZSA 10:00 – 16:00
- Nagykanizsa – Boating lake.
- On the eastern side of the lake is the recently renovated 48 m high lookout tower. It has two floors – at the height of 28 meters and 43 meters.
- Trying out the new pump track and visiting the Eco visitor centre.
- Lunch at the restaurant by the lake
- Afternoon dragon boats training and racing on the lake.